Rafael Nadal withdraws from Laver Cup due to ‘personal reasons’
Rafael Nadal withdrew from the men’s Davis Cup singles tournament in Madrid, Spain, citing personal reasons, the French Tennis Federation said on Tuesday. The top‑ranked Frenchman was due to compete in singles and doubles in his first tournament after his return to competition from a three‑month layoff due to knee surgery.
“It was a tough decision but it is the best for me and my future,” Nadal told reporters, after he and his coach, Fernando Martin del Potro, had a private phone conversation. “I am here to train and play. I do not know what else to say.”
The 26-year-old Nadal, who was first round in both singles and doubles on Tuesday, said he plans to fly to Barcelona, Spain, on Wednesday after competing in singles in the Davis Cup tournament. He will then “go back to the tennis club and work hard in order to prepare for my next tournament.”
The Davis Cup tournament that begins Nov. 7 in Madrid is on hold as Nadal continues to recover from a ruptured Achilles tendon last May and was previously scheduled to compete in singles in the event.
I’ll see if I can get a press release out to media.
As for his future, I would think it would be pretty obvious he has no more plans on playing professional tennis. He can play for himself at the highest level, or he can play tennis at a lower level, but he really wasn’t that great for one reason or another.
Click to expand…
The knee injury I guess would be the only reason why he wouldn’t want to play Davis Cup or a lower level tournament.
I don’t know how you guys think it is fair for Federer to be allowed to play Davis Cup while Nadal gets to play for money and a lesser ranking. It’s just like they are both competing for the same thing, so which is it: Federer or Nadal? Who is more deserving?
I don’t know how you guys think it is fair for Federer to be allowed to play Davis Cup while Nadal gets to play for money and a lesser ranking. It’s just like they are both competing for the same thing, so which is it: Fed