Letters to the Editor: Go ahead, major in English. Just don’t go into debt to do it.
My sister recently visited relatives in Mexico. The trip was a pleasant one, made with plenty of drinking and swimming and talking. We saw a beautiful flower garden, and she took a picture for me of two parakeets. At one point, they climbed a small ladder (I believe it was a toy ladder) to perch on a very high pole. When she took this picture, the ladder looked very real.
One parakeet climbing a toy ladder.
“I’ll send the picture to you,” I said to my sister and gave her the address.
“Thank you,” she replied. I’ll send it to you. But, please, don’t go into debt to do it.
—The Rev. Howard E. McInnerney
WANTED: PASTOR! — A candidate for Southside Baptist deaconship needs to be available by the end of October. If you wish to share your religious experience, come to our weekly meeting on Sunday, Oct. 12, at 10 a.m. in the sanctuary at 300 N. Second St. We use the following criteria to evaluate each applicant:
1. Has he or she met the requirements that will be in effect starting next January?
2. Has he or she read or listened to a sermon of our pastor?
3. Has he or she prayed with our pastor?
4. Has he or she attended a class or service at a church that our pastor was the pastor of?
5. Has he or she attended a class or service at a church that our pastor has pastored?
If you meet all but one of these requirements, come sit next to our pastor so he or she can pray with you while you listen to a sermon. The candidate who meets all but three of these requirements is then invited to attend a class or service at a church that our pastor has pastored. There is not a cost for this.
There is, however, a charge of $30 for the candidate to participate in the class or service. The class or